Saturday 19 December 2015

The W-word

Most of the things we like to do, take time. I'd like to run faster. I'd like to write a lot. I'd like to learn Portuguese. And how to play the guitar. This stuff takes practice, and practice takes time.

And time is such a precious thing. I did not realise that until I turned 28, and left Italy. There are so many things to do out there, and yet we end up repeating that we "have to" work, and trying new thing looks like an impossible task.

I wish I could do it, but I don't have time for it - who has not said this at least once in life?



Working in academia, I hear this kind of comment constantly. The Anglo-Saxons think that whatever is  not work is sin - I've got work to do I haven't got time for anything I wish I could but I have to work.  That's why they are always bloody wasted after work. Ever spent some time in the UK? Then you know what I mean.

Some time ago a guy I met told me Oh my God, I've just read this book it's changed my life! It tells you how to work less, and to spend the rest of the time having fun! An eye-opener! Glad your eyes got opened my friend - I replied - it was about time for that.

As in Italian, and despite more than 10 years spent abroad, I really struggle with this work mentality. When I went back to Italy last time, I was pretending to be Anglo with an old friend of mine: "Gosh my son is killing me - I moaned - I spent the entire morning playing hot wheels cars. I didn't manage to work at all, I feel like I've wasted the day". I will never forget his reply: Shut the f*** up! The wasted day is a day spent working.

Now, that was a real eye-opener. I know I should probably not propose Italy as an example, given it is not exactly a well-functioning country, but the point is: work is just one thing on the list of relevant stuff in life. And once you get your priorities right, well beyond "the work", you get the time for realising them. I have recently caught myself using the I-dont-have-time refrain, to justify to myself why I don't run faster-speak Portuguese etc. And I have realised this is, in most cases, just an excuse to not admit that I simply waste my time rather than doing these things.

Just get your priorities right man (put the big rocks in first), and you'll see you'll have the time for doing EVERYTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment