Thursday 14 January 2016

Holiday in Burma - Act III: Did we make it?

We are back in Yangon, living the pampered expat life at our friends' house for another day. Tomorrow morning it's back to OZ.
The last week has proven to be pretty hard child-wise, yet overall pleasant. We survived Bagan, and then had an enjoyable 4 days in Ngapali, where we befriended a nice American family, who basically saved our holiday. They had two kids age 5-7, who became the centre of Child1's world: he was happy to play with them for most of the time, rather than yelling stuff like "Mummy and daddy, you're worse than I thought!!" as he had done in Bagan, at the hotel pool, in front of various amused/shocked onlookers. We worry he might have anger management issues, and that we might not be dealing with it very well.

Anyway, I even managed to go for the first run of 2016, with the American guy, on beautiful Ngapali beach. A hassle-free 4km at 6min/km, talking about cultural differences and barefoot running. We ate good food and did not get poisoned, although I have been bitten by something scary while at dinner. I don't know what it was, but it hurt a lot, and forced me to go bear chested in front of people at the restaurant to let the mysterious bug out of my shirt.

Children are doing good, especially n. 2 who, aged 8 months, has proven the world what a trooper she is. Woman has found out about this blog, and commented it is full of rage. I wonder why she thinks so. Today, bad parenting overdrive, in pure expat style: Child 1 is laughing his ass off in front of Nickelodeon Asia, while n.2 sleeps and everyone else is around Yangon. At some point the maid will make lunch for the kids, I'm sure. This weekend is Yangon marathon weekend, just to shut up those grumps who think it's impossible to run here (i.e. me).

That said, I am missing running a lot and, as I always do by this time of the year, I am currently going through the running calendar of Western Australia, plotting half and full marathons, till the next existential crisis. Let's hope we make it safely to Fremantle, and we'll take it from there. Enough with the IPad!

No comments:

Post a Comment