Friday 11 September 2015

Playing with numbers

 
The running week so far has gone well. Continuity has been on my side, and on Tuesday I managed to pile up a 3x2000 + 1x1000, 3 min running in between. Painful, of course. I was halfway through it, when I was suddenly struck by the question "Hang on, why on earth am I doing this? I've got a family. I've got a mortgage to pay. I've got a job!" But I shut that voice up and kept running. That's being tough, innit?

Anyway, that run went well, but both calves hurt. Must be the new shoes, they've got quite a low drop compared to my long-run ones. So I took a day off on Wednesday, followed by another one on Thursday, due to rain in the morning, and family commitments in the afternoon (took the family to watch the Cirque du Soleil. Pretty amazing. It was basically a feast of abs and shoulders, against a background of flying people). I went back to running today, the calves were still pretty upset but hung in there; so I did a fartlek- a pyramid one, which I did not now about till I asked "the Google".

I ended up doing a1-2-3-4-3-2-1 version, though I cut a couple of minutes at the end for I did not want to go for too long. Still, 14km overall, which is a seasonal record. It was pretty hard, I chugged and panted like an old steam engine, but I liked that you are not tied to distances or split times, can do it anywhere, and you run at different paces. I hope it'll pay off - on Sunday I am signed up for a 10K here in Fremantle, will see how that goes (if that goes at all: kids are sick at the moment, so probably I am en route to gastro or similar :'(
 



No comments:

Post a Comment