Wednesday 16 September 2015

Lots of stories, and then 18km

I got on the scale yesterday morning, shortly after sunrise. I like the stillness of the world around me, the gentle light that comes through the window, the singing magpies and the sound of ocean waves from afar, when I step on a weight-measuring device.
It said 65. Bitch. I wondered for a while what the hell was going on in my body. But then the kids got up so I stopped wondering. I went for a good run at lunch time, in Applecross, south of Perth, surrounded by shamelessly massive houses of billionaires who piled up $$$ during the mining boom.



11km in total, following the Swan River. Priceless, like the billionaire houses. At night, I went for a deep tissue massage at a guy who works next door to my house. My calves had been giving me hell since last Sunday's depressing 10k, and are a general daily hassle in my late 30s existence. The masseur, young but competent, said my calves were pretty good, but my feet were tight. In fact, the left arch has been hurting for a while, I think my new Asics Hyperspeed look cool, but are a bit too minimalistic. Most of all, they don't run near as fast as I expected them to! So, 55 bucks later I went back home, with relaxed calves but still a cranky foot.



Image result for spikey ball

To deal with that crankiness, I got onto the spikey ball, which my partner bought me one day she was probably angry at me for some reason. Ouch. No, really - how do you guys do that? I can just place my foot on it, and then it's regression to infanthood - I moan and cry as if in need of breastmilk.




This morning I got on the scale again, and read 62.5 Weird stuff. How do you shave off 2.5 kg in one day? I hadn't been eating differently, and my toilet practice has been regular. The scale is an old-fashion one, but pretty reliable. Can an 11 km run produce such change?? I know body weight can vary substantially from day to day, but 4 kg less since 3 days ago seems crazy. This also got me excited though, for as I read here, had I been this weight on last Sunday I would have run the 10k in 35 minutes, which is what I was aiming for. So perhaps is not the Asics' fault.

Then I went for another run, to East Fremantle, galvanised by the glorious weather and by the kids at childcare. I sort of willingly miscalculated how far I was going, and ended up clocking a - for me epic- 18km run. I think I haven't run that much since 1998. Seriously. The last 20 minutes I dragged myself miserably: everything was hurting, legs, shoulders, neck.. the left foot, of course..  But hey, that's 18km. Take this, bodyscale.




No comments:

Post a Comment