Sunday 20 September 2015

Conflicting feelings

Image result for mixed feelings


The week ends with mixed feelings.

The body weight experiment has yielded some results. I've got back to the 60kg marks. However, it hasn't bore the expected results: yesterday I went for the usual 5km ParkRun, and scrapped a very modest 17'52''. Again I mismanaged the whole business - didn't hook up with the fast kids in front of me from the start, ended up chasing them for a couple of km, seeing them getting smaller and smaller far ahead of me.. I should have sprinted to catch up with them, and then perhaps collapse without regrets.  Why do I keep getting up early and all the fuss, to then run these anonymous runs?

Most of all, I struggle with motivation. I am not hungry for results, and understandably so. Running is a nice thing, but I cannot turn it into this life-making practice. I have been reading many excellent blogs of people whose life hinges on their running. But my life is too sketchy, I don't even know where I'll be in a couple of years, what job I will have.. I retreat into running in order to hold onto something, to have the illusion that I have a plan, a goal, a challenge to meet. But the challenges are others, I should finally publish my academic articles, get some recognitions, career advancements, feeling of accomplishment.. Even if I ended up running a sub-70mins half marathon, or a sub-32 mins 10k, what change would that make in my life? None whatsoever. I did all that 20 years ago, it's silly to struggle so much just to try to repeat it. At that time, there was a reason to train like crazy every day - and I did not have other responsibilities.

I must strive to be a well-rounded person, learning new skills and improving as a person overall. There are so many things of myself I need to change, and running like a maniac is not going to make any difference on that. This obsession with running is unhealthy, and has got me stuck. I must find an equilibrium between what, at this stage in my life, is nice to do, and what really matters.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the obsession concept. I was trapped in that mindset for so many years and it's tough to get out of. Being well-rounded has personally helped me feel happier as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachael. I think that running, in some way, is literally something we do to 'run away' from other things :)

    ReplyDelete