Tuesday 22 December 2015

Why I left Facebook




It's been two months since I closed my Facebook account.

I'd been feeling increasingly unwell on FB. I couldn't stand how much time I spent on it (loads!) and for what gain (zero!). I couldn't stand people's narcissism. Most of all, I couldn't stand the feeling, after having 'checked' FB, of having my neurons covered in some kind of sticky molasses. I was just cranky all the time.

I decided to close the account after careful consideration. Which was funny, because the more I kept asking myself 'What am I going to lose?', and the less I could think of anything.
Nonetheless, I made that choice as a kind of experiment on myself - like these people who meditate 35 hours over 7 days, watch 70 hours of Ted talks etc. to see what happens to their brain. Except, my experiment was going in the other direction - freeing up some of my time. Yet, I still wondered: What would have happened to me? How would my life change? Would I have become the loneliest person in the world?

The last one is the question I have heard more often when talking to other people about my 'decision' : But how will you keep in touch with your friends??

Turns out that if you keep in touch with your friends through FB, my dear friend, you have no friends. You have FB friends, which in most cases are people you spoke to for 2 mins at a party, only to find their 'friend request' when you go home on your FB page. You accept the request, and you both acquire this mutual right to look inside a stranger's closet.

So, after 2 months, here's what I have lost for leaving FB:
  1. Knowing what people have eaten today
  2. Knowing that some people are feeling sad
  3. Knowing that some people are feeling happy
  4. Knowing that people need me to know what they have eaten and that they are feeling happy or sad
  5. Videos of cats, dogs, or little babies
  6. A vast taxonomy of selfies
  7. News about the world
  8. Links to cool blogs
  9. Ice bucket challenges
  10. Racist/ignorant comments by people who need others to know their own racist/ignorant opinion
  11. Pictures of people getting married and/or of their kids
  12. Sad news about people dying
Of these, 7, 8, 11, and 12 are actually important. But it turns out that, if I really want to know about someone's wedding, kids, life or death, I can write  an email or even - God forbid- make a phone call.

 Here's what I have gained from leaving FB:
  1. Time. I was averaging 1.5 hrs a day on FB. It was insane. Try add up all the minutes per day you are FBing, and see what you get.
  2. Realising that people need attention. I still find myself looking at pictures I took, or remembering things that happened to me, and then thinking "I should put this on FB, people will love it!" That is the engine that keeps FB running, and probably the whole world.
  3. I have found out who my real friends are - that is, those I still look for, or who are still looking for me through other channels

I know I'm breaking no new ground with this "choice". Try to google "leaving facebook" and you'll  see how much the topic has already been debated.

Also, there's the undeniable paradox of writing all this on your personal blog, which you've set up so that people can see what you think and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment